We are the outliers, the right and left brain thinkers, the exceptional creators who challenge basic assumptions, possess an insatiable curiosity, and a passion for empowering others through knowledge.
Excelling in our field requires a diversity of perspectives. It requires the ability to learn rapidly, evaluate problems with a high degree of objectivity, and develop applicable solutions, as well as creativity, strong communication skills, and the ability to think visually.
At AVO, we are building an elite team of intelligent, thoughtful, transdisciplinary thinkers. We collaborate regularly but also trust each member to independently deliver the high quality work for which we are known. While team members have their own core duties, no one is above a given role, and we are always willing to take on any task that contributes to the success of our mission.
We’re looking for individuals who:
- think critically and objectively about problems
- have a natural curiosity that drives them to understand a diversity of perspectives when facing a question
- care about their work enough to go the extra mile and ensure the highest quality deliverables
Our name, AVO, comes from the Latin “Amor Vincit Omnia,” meaning love conquers all. This philosophy drives our vision: to leverage our collective intelligence to create a long-lasting positive impact on the world, or as we say, “doing good, better.” In the end, our story is not about our work but rather how we empower others to change the world.
We’re looking for a strategic, versatile Visual Designer to join our team at AVO. It’s worth noting up front that we are not a creative shop; if you’re looking for a design agency so you can work on large advertising campaigns and big creative productions, we’re probably not the right fit.
That said, design plays an important and elevated role in our agency and is an instrumental part of our work. While we are not a “design shop,” information design is at the center of much of what we do, as we are often tasked with articulating complex concepts in ways that are both functional and easy to understand. In achieving this, design is often a starting point, not an afterthought (as it is in too many other agencies.)
Accordingly, we’re really looking for someone who is as much a strategist as they are a designer. This is not a role where we spend three weeks developing content and then tell the design team to “make it look pretty.” This designer should expect to be a part of the process, which may include developing positioning for a new brand, defining messaging for a product, developing the outline for a research report, evaluating a user experience for ease of use, or crafting a sales pitch.
The nature of this work also requires a designer who is a strong writer and thinks critically about their work. During design, it is common for issues and opportunities to become visible in ways that were only possible to see during the design stage. We need a designer who can identify and help address these circumstances. For example, when creating a layout for a report, they should be familiar enough with the content to ask questions and make content recommendations as the asset comes to form. This may include recommending a paragraph be rewritten for clarity, reorganizing report sections for better flow, identify and correcting syntax issues, or suggesting a section of copy be removed and visualized instead for easier comprehension.
Lastly, it is incredibly important that this designer has a solid understanding of human-centered design and can apply those principles to help produce work that is functional and easy to understand. We’re looking for an individual who can blend design and storytelling with creative thinking and user experience, and leverage a breadth of knowledge in graphic design, illustration, motion, and user experience to conceptualize and create high-quality deliverables for our clients and team.
- Support strategic client work, including but not limited to developing positioning, messaging, and branding
- Support research efforts, including but not limited to developing models, conducting analysis, and creating reports and papers
- Leverage knowledge of human-centered design to help evaluate products and user experiences
- Assist in developing internal assets to support the proliferation of design knowledge throughout the agency (e.g., on-boarding and training materials)
- Build and design client and internal presentations
- Design layouts and graphics for research reports and papers
- Design user experiences/user flows (both online and offline)
- Create and test website architectures, wireframes, user interfaces, and user experience frameworks
- Build content as required to support client efforts, including but not limited to developing graphics, emails, or other web assets
- Edit photos and videos for marketing materials
- 2+ years experience
- B.A. or B.F.A in a design-related field; a portfolio that demonstrates a solid understanding of the fundamentals of human-centered design, including organization, layout, style, color, and typography
- Transdisciplinary creative (opposed to a hyper-specialized designer)
- Knowledge of human-centered design principles
- Fluent with creative tasks and tools (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere Pro, Lightroom, XD, etc.)
- Proficient with technology and common business software (macOS, Windows, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.)
- Exceptional written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Service and quality-driven
- Ability to learn new information and skills quickly
- Thorough with a strong attention to detail
- Critical thinker with strong analytical abilities
- Ability to work in different styles
- Ability to work autonomously to get things done
- Experience exercising discretion and confidentiality with sensitive company information
- Professionalism while collaborating with team members, clients, and partners
- Poised under pressure with the ability to switch gears at a moment’s notice
- Composure, professionalism, and the ability to do what the situation requires to make the organization as a whole successful
- Availability to work off hours if needed
THIS IS IMPORTANT
Not sure if you are 100% qualified based on what you have read? Consider this: we are more interested in hiring smart, hardworking, thoughtful individuals who are motivated to learn than those who think they already have all of the answers. We want individuals who care about the world, who want to be a part of something bigger than themselves, and who will deliver exceptional work.
Please attach a PDF that includes both your resume AND a cover letter that:
- Tells us why you are interested in working at AVO
- Illustrates how you embody our values
- Shares a brief example of a project/time during which you utilized both your right and left brain to solve a problem
Incomplete applications will not be considered.
AVO is a Seattle-based consulting firm specializing in strategy, brand, and product solutions for Fortune 1000-size companies. Established in 2009, we have created award-winning work for clients as diverse as Microsoft, Philips, Cascade Designs, and others. To learn more about our company and our values, visit our website: https://amorvinc.it/our-story.
AVO is committed to creating an inclusive work environment with a diverse workforce. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.